21-Feb-2026  Srinagar booked.net

Kashmir

Kishtwar Ramadan donation order sparks Assembly uproar

Omar Abdullah says DC acted on clerics’ request, urges members not to politicise issue

Published

on



Jammu, February 20 A directive issued by the Kishtwar district administration regulating the collection of charitable donations during the holy month of Ramadan triggered sharp exchanges in the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly on Thursday, with opposition members demanding its immediate withdrawal and alleging interference in religious practices. Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday clarified that the order was issued at the request of religious leaders

The controversy erupted after Kishtwar District Magistrate Pankaj Sharma issued an order under Section 163 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS), citing concerns over “unregulated and unauthorised” donation collections during Ramadan by certain individuals and organisations.

The order stated that while Zakat and Sadaqah are integral to the religious and social fabric of Ramadan, misrepresentation or fraudulent solicitation undermines the sanctity of the holy month and exploits public goodwill.

Under the directive, no individual, NGO, trust, society or committee is permitted to collect donations within Kishtwar district without valid registration under applicable laws, including the J&K Societies Registration Act and Trust Act. Fundraisers are also required to give prior written intimation to the Executive Officer of the Waqf Board Kishtwar, the Imam of Jamia Masjid, or the concerned Tehsildar. The order mandates maintenance of transparent records of collections and expenditures, and warns that anyone soliciting donations without valid identification, registration documents and official receipt books will be treated as unauthorised. A helpline has also been set up for reporting alleged fraudulent solicitation or harassment.

Opposition backlash on Thursday

The directive drew strong criticism in the Assembly on Thursday, with Congress MLA Nizamuddin Bhat terming it “absolutely unconstitutional, ultra vires, bad in law, and provocative”.

“How can there be administrative scrutiny of religious donations? Our Shariah says the left hand should not know what the right hand donates,” Bhat said, raising the issue in the House and seeking the Chief Minister’s intervention.

Congress MLA Ghulam Ahmad Mir supported the demand for withdrawal, while legislators from the PDP and the National Conference also criticised the order and called for its rollback.

Deputy Chief Minister Surinder Choudhary said the elected government would take a considered decision after examining the order. “This is a government of the people. We will not allow ‘babu raj’. I will read the full order and respond in detail,” he told reporters outside the Assembly.

Leader of Opposition Sunil Sharma, however, defended the move, saying complaints had been received earlier about individuals allegedly collecting donations for unlawful activities. “The District Magistrate has only asked for proper verification for the collection of donations,” he said.

Responding to the uproar on Friday, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah told the Legislative Assembly that the Kishtwar Deputy Commissioner had issued the directive at the insistence of religious leaders and local residents, and not on his own initiative.

“I inquired into the matter after allegations were made that the government was interfering in religious affairs,” the Chief Minister said.

He explained that ahead of Ramadan, all deputy commissioners had been instructed to consult local stakeholders to begin preparations for the holy month. “During such a meeting in Kishtwar, religious leaders and locals expressed concern that some individuals were forming fake NGOs during Ramadan to collect donations, with no clarity on how the money was being used,” he said.

Omar Abdullah added that donations were sometimes collected in the name of patients whose existence could not be verified. “The DC was urged to take steps to protect genuine NGOs from harm caused by such misuse. Following their request, an appropriate order was issued,” he said.

The Chief Minister told the House that the directive had been welcomed by the Imam of Jamia Masjid Kishtwar, other religious leaders and local residents.

“I request the Hon’ble Member and others that we should not politicise every issue,” he said, urging restraint in the debate.